Thursday, August 16, 2007

It Never Rains in Southern California

Seriously. It doesn't.

This is my very first post ever to a blog, so you guys should feel very special :) So greetings from sunny Los Angeles, where I am now living and working. I survived my three-and-a-half-day cross-country drive from Georgia and am now renting a cute (read: tiny) studio apartment in Santa Monica only two blocks from my office (so no commutes or traffic jams!). Santa Monica is a separate city just to the west of Los Angeles proper with (somewhat) cleaner air and nicer (and yuppier) people, and I can even walk to the beach from my apartment. I also experienced my first earthquake last week, which I guess means I'm a real Californian now (it was very minor).

My new/first job -- the reason I moved out here -- is in market research, which has a whole lot to do with my Yale major (biomedical engineering). We work with several different types of companies -- film studios, video game makers, and a few others -- and collect and analyze consumer opinions about their products. Basically I get to tell people that I work with movies, which really sounds awesome and impressive, right? The people I work with are really young and very nice, which makes for a really great environment for a first job out of college.

I miss you guys lots, and as Jenny said, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not moving back to New Haven in a couple of weeks. Life is almost boring after college without all of the parties and events. You guys are all welcome to come and visit, but bring a sleeping bag -- you'll be sleeping on the floor because I don't have any furniture (wouldn't fit in my apartment anyway).

And alas, no, I haven't seen any celebrities yet, but I'm keeping my eyes open ;)

7 comments:

mysterhie said...

Hey Kristin,

Where do you live in Santa Monica? My grandparents, my cousin, and a Yale friend of mine all live there! Make sure to win a giant stuffed animal at Santa Monica Pier.

-Chris

Anonymous said...

If anyone reads this, can someone invite me to this? Mine expired =( My email is in the form of firstname.lastname@gmail.com

Beth said...

Sounds exciting, Kristin! You're all off on your own, living like an adult and everything! My experience is that it's been kind of scary but fun -- you'll have to let me know your impression. :o)

Also, if I come visit linguistics grad schools in the area, can I stay with you?

Beth said...

(also, I have no idea how to invite Nick to the blog, so someone else should really get on top of that. No double entendre intended.)

Diana said...

I should've invited Nick last night. =P Um, unless you don't go by your full first name in your gmail addy...

Gilene said...

You're right - it is ridiculously sunny here. Also, I am here. And Santa Monica is only like 20 minutes away from me (in Westwood) so we should totally hang out sometime!

jennybeth said...

oooo im jealous i wanna hang out with gilene and k knox :(

i <3 you k