Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

New Haven was great. I have to say, I missed the East Coast for the first time. Pizza, bagels, and Rudy's frites aside, it was great to see all of you who could make it!

Anyway, the reason for the David Bowie title - I finally quit my job today! My immediate supervisor laughed; she definitely saw it coming. Not that I'm a crappy employee - well, the fact that I'm on Blogger in the middle of the afternoon is evidence to the contrary - but clearly I am not the Corporate America type.

If you or anyone you know is thinking of becoming a paralegal - don't do it! Yes, it seems like an obvious choice for pre-law school types, and it compensates fairly well, but it is B-O-R-I-N-G. Like, worse than a Steven Smith political philosophy lecture.

So, it's onward to summer classes at UC Berkeley, as I try to figure out if I want to pursue a master's in city planning. I'll also be working for the City of Oakland's environmental services division - meaning I will be an energy efficiency number cruncher. Sounds kinda boring, but at $27/hour, it's not a bad temp gig!

Am I the first '07er to be launching a career change? Also, does anyone have independent health insurance to recommend? I'm not looking for anything fancy like annual checkups and prescription drugs, just something that'll have me covered in case I get hit by a bus. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Diana said...

actually my brief visit with a prelaw advisor-ish type at Yale told me that if you think you're gonna go into law...don't do anything law related 'cuz you'll have time to do paperwork when you're interning in law school and all you'll want to do is NOT go into law. :-) only if you're wondering if you can deal with the monotony of law sometimes should you test it out as a paralegal! =P

jennybeth said...

I am considering a career change from museum professional to retirement

Mike said...

I completely dropped chemistry as a possible career path shortly after graduating with a degree in it. Does that count as "career change"?

Well, I'm doing okay with the slow process of getting enough math credits to go back to grad school while also working IT, so I suppose it counts. Still not sure if I want an MS in math or an MAT w/ concentration in secondary mathematics, but there's still plenty of time for all of us.