Tuesday, October 30, 2007

oh yeah, i have a job

I don't know why I haven't posted about this yet, but I'm employed! I'm working at this super sweet small historic site in Alexandria, VA . It's been a museum since 1939 but was given to the city only last year. So now we're starting to go through all the papers and boxes that have been here since the shop closed in 1933.

My position is "Museum Aide I (Site Manager)". I'm the only one at the museum all week so it's my job to give all the tours, run the gift shop, and now I'm learning how to do the financial stuff too. And starting next week, the museum will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays for the winter so I'll have more time to help with the cataloging and researching.

I thought I'd be lonely being here alone all week, but it's not bad at all! I always have really interesting people coming for tours and there have been LOTS of German tourists. And we all know how much I love Germans. But actually, it's really cool to get a chance to practice my German and these old German tourists are usually thrilled to find someone speaking German, even though my Deutsch ist pretty terrible.

So I'm happy here in my little museum in the cutest city ever. You should all come visit me! See you all so soooon at The Game! I'm getting in some time Friday evening and plan on partying straight through Sunday morning. Hope you're all down for that!

6 comments:

Beth said...

wow, the museum looks interesting. And I can't believe you conduct tours in German! Why are there so many German tourists there, do you think?

jennybeth said...

germans <3 traveling, and they (and other europeans) have a great exchange rate right now

jennybeth said...

oh that comment was so not me cause i got distracted in the middle. germans also really just like me so they found out where i work and are coming in hoards.

(i did also have a french family and have had a few english people too)

Justin said...

I can vouch for Alexandria's cuteness. If Nana and I could have found a way to transport the town to, say, the Appalachian foothills (or maybe if we'd just had jobs closer to home), we may never have left. (Or at least not so soon.)

Leslie said...

I can also vouch for Alexandria's cuteness. I mean, I was born there! How much cuter can you get than that? ;)

No but seriously, I'm glad you like your job, Jenny!

jennybeth said...

I think just figured out the reason why we have so many Germans- they all come in holding a guidebook so I'm thinking we must be in a popular German guidebook!