Thursday, October 11, 2007

Too many app essays...

So I know this is two posts in a row for me, but this was just too weird.

Last night I dreamt that a bunch of us ypmb 07ers were hanging out in Harvard Yard, drinking wine with President Levin, the dearly departed Larry Summers and a smallish group of other Ivy alumns (extras). Eventually Summers starts badmouthing Yale and we get appropriately righteous, climbing up on some nearby scaffolding to sing "Bulldog." When we start to sing, I realize that we somehow didn't sing Bulldog at all, but BCY. Then, no, it wasn't BCY... it was my high school alma mater, and everyone started to realize that we weren't singing a Yale song and dropped out, leaving me the only one to finish the song.

Later in this dream the statues of Elihu Yale, John Harvard and (I shit you not) Abraham Lincoln were stalking me as I tried to make my way to the Harvard version of DUH urgent care to treat a concussion I got in some lecture hall. Long story.

If anyone has any sort of interpretation they'd like to share, go for it. As for me, I think it means too many application essays in too short a time.

Side note: the transition from Yale fight song to my original alma mater isn't actually that strange. The lyrics:

Although Yale has always favored
The violet's dark hue
And the gentle sons of Harvard
To the crimson rose are true
We will own the lily's splendor
Nor honor shall we lack
While Clarion stands defender
Of the orange and the black.

3 comments:

mysterhie said...

Beth, I have been looking at this post for a week, and I have a feeling other people have been looking, too.

The reason there are no comments is not that people don't care, it's just that we have no idea where to start! That is one strange dream...

Beth said...

I figured that was it. Frankly, I didn't even know what to say to myself afterwards except something vaguely approaching "damn..."

I just thought I'd throw in a post that wasn't about any particular major life event. :o)

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.