Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hammer time?

So last Thursday, as part of the DC Grooves concert series, I watched a free MC Hammer concert. Like, wtf. I only found out about it a few hours before work was over, and I don't even remember Hammer too much, but I knew. I should go to this thing.

And so I did.

The night started off with a bit of stalling, and then the opening group, "No Label". It was really confusing at first, 'cuz it was unclear that they were called No Label and didn't just not have a label.

No Label on MySpace

Don't be frightened at how unattractive they seem in their picture...
They weren't bad. They were generic, but pretty good for live! And if you look at their profiles, most of them are more legit than random girls who have spent too much time fashioning themselves scantily clad and dancing to music videos in their living room.

But yes, the one and only, MC Hammer.
It was pretty lame 'cuz he stalled for, I dunno, 30 minutes after the last act. At least. But whatever, it's the Hammer.

Highlights include:
- the great dancing era that was the 80s and 90s
- a random safe sex song interlude "I've got a condom in my pocket, 'cuz we be practicin' safe sex...SAFE SEX...safe sex...SAFE SEX..."
- seeing people older than me in Woodrow Wilson Plaza (right outside the Ronald Reagan building) doing the hand motions to "Too Legit to Quit".
- how calm the MC (not hammer, of the concert) was in retrospect, when he had to stall for 30 minutes (at least) keeping the crowds interested and in the area even though it was hot and boring and MC Hammer was primping or something...

K so I wrote this draft a while ago until I remembered to go home and put in a youtube video. That finally happened. :-)



ps - Little Richard will be performing later this month.

2 comments:

jennybeth said...

omg, little richard? can we please go?

Diana said...

but of course! :-)

"DC Grooves grand finale presents DC's own glamorous Doo-wop divas The Jewels, opening for Little Richard who takes the stage September 20 with a full ensemble performing oldie-but-goodie favorites Tutti Fruiti, Long Tall Sally and Good Golly, Miss Molly."