Sunday, June 24, 2007

it was the best of IDs, it was the...worst of IDs

Looky looky, my two new forms of ID! My DRIVER'S LICENSE and my government ID. "Department of Commerce" sounds funny to me. Also, I wish I looked a little more like my picture. Even my sleepy driver's photo would do, which was taken a month after I turned 18 with the lady telling me to say "cheese" but she took it before I could form a word...

Anyway, took a walk through Old Town Alexandria the other day. It's so cute! It's clearly kind of high class in its quaintness, but it's like a different world from some of the other parts of this place. :-) The waiter at the sushi place I ate at was actually from China, and it was really awkward how I found out...

::the bill comes::
waiter: Are you Asian?
me: Um, yeah.
waiter: Where are you from?
me: Oh, my parents are from Taiwan so I'm Chinese.
waiter: Taiwan?
me: Hmm?
waiter: Taiwan?
me: Yeah.
waiter: You don't look it.
me: Oh...where do I look like I'm from?
waiter: My hometown is in China.
me: Oh...okay. (Was that an answer to my question? I guess he thought I asked about him...)

When I left the restaurant he said bye in Chinese and I said likewise and he said something else but I didn't fully understand it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know at first glance, the background in your goverment ID made you look like you have angel wings.

Diana said...

haha never noticed that...at all...